|Automation Team Leader||Sligo||€65000 - €70000|
|Engineering Technician||Dublin||Not Disclosed|
Bioprocess Engineer Career Profile
A bioprocess engineer (Upstream or Downstream) is a specialist engineer that is involved in the development and optimisation of engineering systems used in biotechnology and the biopharmaceutical sector. The combination of engineering and development can be used in pharmaceutical bioprocessing or other production areas.
Biopharmaceutical companies are the main employers of bioprocess engineers. Bioprocess engineers are responsible for troubleshooting and monitoring of equipment all through the production process. The bioprocess engineer also works closely with the research team and may be involved in collecting, analyzing and presenting data as well as supervisory roles within the team.
Bioprocess engineering generally come from backgrounds in biotechnology, biochemistry or bioprocess science. Graduate positions are scarce and generally a number of years experience is required to secure a position.
- Developing and predicting process strategies and throughputs through effective facility and process design of a multi-product manufacturing platform.
- A degree-level qualification in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of the downstream biopharmaceutical unit operations involved with bioreactor design and control, SIP/CIP, filtration etc.
- Experience in either design or commissioning of a mammalian cell-based biopharmaceutical manufacturing plant.
- Operations experience in purification or related bioprocess manufacturing experience in an established biotech production operation.